Tuesday, January 15, 2008

Loaded Lasagna

We seem to have an issue with vegetables. I know this is fairly common among families with little kids, but I'm embarrassed to admit that I'm not much better than my 3-year-old when it comes to eating right. I've recently decided to keep track of my nutrient intake and have found that I don't even come close to meeting all of the recommended servings of, well, any of the food groups. Except for fats, oils, and sweets; I seem to do fine in those areas.

I heard about Jessica Seinfeld's new cookbook Deceptively Delicious and decided to give it a try. So far, I really love it, but I've only tried two recipes. I loved the French Toast (made with pumpkin), but really didn't really like the oatmeal.
I put my own spin on one of her recipes by adding sweet potato puree to my super-easy lasagna recipe. I've decided to call it Loaded Lasagna.

Ingredients:

Whole wheat lasagna noodles, uncooked
Jar of marinara or spaghetti sauce (I like Prego Traditional)
Large tub of low fat cottage cheese
A lot of shredded mozzarella (about 3 cups)
1 sweet potato, steamed, then pureed
Fresh baby spinach

Start with a thin layer of spaghetti sauce on the bottom of the pan (just enough to provide moisture for cooking the noodles). Spread one layer of uncooked pasta on the sauce. Mix the pureed sweet potato into the spaghetti sauce, then spread about 1/3 of the sauce on top of the noodles. Top that with a layer of spinach leaves (however much you think you and/or your kids will tolerate). Then spread about 1/3 of the cottage cheese over that and top with about 1 cup of shredded mozzarella. Repeat 3 times. Cover with foil and bake for 45 min. at 375. Remove foil and bake another 15 minutes at 425.

I usually triple this recipe and make it in 6 small square foil pans, then freeze them for easy last-minute meals. If you want to make it fresh, this is enough for one large pan of lasagna, which will easily serve 6-8 adults.

Enjoy... especially since you'll be getting at least one serving of vegetables and one whole grain serving. Which cancels out the minor amount of fat you'll get from the cheese.

4 comments:

Melissa said...

I'll have to try that recipe. I hear ya, I'm good about eating enough fats and sweets but not the rest. My kids do eat better than I do, which I guess is good, but I need to be a better example especially when they can start figuring out mommy doesn't eat as much fruits as they do! I battle with them probably half the time to eat their veggies-its like they are born not liking those, but are able to spot a McDonalds 2 miles up the road (and we've only eaten there maybe a dozen times in 3 1/2 years!).

Sydney said...

Love that cookbook too. Beth made some yummy stuff at playgroup one week. She made the muffins and then the Cigars- the muffins were heavy and so yummy. The cigars were gone! I need to get going on some other recipes and I'll let you know which ones I like.

I'm going to try your lasagna. I'm never good at lasagna but I guess I won't be if I never try!

Melissa said...

took some of your tips and added it to my own lasagne recipe last night and it was great! couldn't even tell about the pureed sweet potato, and i wilted down the spinach in my sauce on the stove before i layered it. it was fabulous! thanks for the secret.

mikeandmelissafisher said...

Strangely enough, I had your lasagna recipe already and added frozen (thawed) spinach to it a while back...the fresh spinach is a good idea. Unfortunately my child won't touch tomato sauce so now you know MY battles :)