So... I forgot to feed one of my kids lunch today. The worst part--other than the forgetting-to-feed-my-kid part--is... I didn't even realize it until about 9 pm, when Brad and I were about to sit down to our dinner after putting the kids to bed. A quick aside: We ate that late because Jonah had soccer practice tonight. I was so proud of myself for getting supper in the oven beforehand and setting the timer, so we could arrive back home to a pre-prepared, home-cooked meal. Unfortunately, I must have set the timer wrong, because it was all still uncooked when we got home! So we fed the kids (Brad did it, so I'm pretty sure they both got food that time) and put them to bed while our supper was cooking. Brad opened the freezer to get ice for his drink and wondered aloud, "Whoa, whose corndogs are these?!"
Yeah. A perfect end to a perfect day. I was thinking of writing about my day anyway, but didn't have the energy and, well, it's not really that good of a story; just one of those nothing-went-right kind of days. It was just a crappy day.
But when I realized that I actually FORGOT to feed one of my kids, I thought I should take the time to make that information public. Maybe it will make someone laugh, or at least feel better about herself as a mom. In that case, it's worth the humiliation of revealing yet another Worst Mom story.
Evidently, I microwaved his nasty, processed, frozen corndogs in the microwave and stuck them in the freezer to cool off before giving them to him--like I do every meal (with variations on the type of frozen food, of course). Who knows what happened after that to distract me--I can only imagine--but I do remember commenting, "Boy! You sure scarfed those down! Do you want a cheese stick?!" He ate it--maybe--and then asked for grapes, like usual. He ate a lot and kept asking for more, but I didn't think much of it since he really likes grapes. Poor thing was probably wishing he could yell at me, "Seriously?! Cheese and grapes for lunch? What is this, Italy?! I'm starving over here!" But, being his sweet Jackson self, he just smiled, laughed, and played like normal. He didn't go to sleep right away at nap time and I wondered if he had reflux. Turns out that wasn't really an option, since I FORGOT to FEED him!!! Poor thing. He was probably too hungry to sleep!
So here's my "You're Welcome!" in advance for every other mother who takes a look at this entry. Once again, I've earned the Worst Mom title.
At least I'm good at something, right?!
1 comment:
Wait- you fed him grapes and cheese?? Oh, that totally counts as lunch {at least in our household it does}
Don't beat yourself up. We've all had our low days whether it's forgetting to change a dirty diaper which leads to a horrible diaper rash or counting fruit snacks and a juice box "lunch" before dropping them off at school. We do what we can, when we can and luckily our kids survive and still love us!
You're a great mom Tara and I'm sure he enjoyed the corn dog the following day!
Post a Comment