Sometimes I'm quick to pass along funny stories or to complain about how hard my life is, but it's probably not often enough that I share some of the more precious times we have together. I've had two days--in a row!--that really made me happy to be a mom and I'd like to share a bit with you, my faithful readers.
I mean, I'm happy at moments every day, of course, and I love love love my kids more each and every day, but some days are just really hard. If you read my post about taking the kids shopping, you know exactly what I mean. In fact, if you have kids of your own, you probably know what I mean.
Yesterday morning, we got up and out of the house to head to Jonah's Garden Wonderers class at Hershey Gardens. It was a beautiful morning... not too hot for once... and we were happy to be out in the fresh air. When we got to the gardens, we couldn't find our group. When I inquired at the desk, it turned out that there was no class that day; I had marked my calendar wrong. Since we were already there, we spent some time wandering leisurely through the grounds and enjoyed the butterfly house and children's garden. We sat down at the end and had a snack together and talked about everything we'd seen.
That's a sweet enough memory and experience--and a good reminder to take it down a notch sometimes and not always have to have an activity to do--but what made me smile even more was when Jonah told Brad about his day: "Daddy. You might be really disappointed about this, but we didn't have flower class today." He then went on to tell him it was the best time he ever had at Hershey Gardens.
Last night before bed, he wanted to start a new chapter book (we finished Winnie the Pooh last week). He didn't want ME to read House at Pooh Corner to him and it was Brad's turn to read to Jackson. Earlier in the day I had told him about Charlotte's Web and he remembered to ask for it. We read and enjoyed the first chapter. The best part, though, was the reverent way in which he carried his new book over and placed it gently down on the table right next to his bed.
When he got up this morning, he came running downstairs carrying three precious things: his blue blankie, his new water bottle (who knew a kid could get so excited about a bottle?!), and his new copy of Charlotte's Web. We immediately read a chapter and then talked about our plan for the day. When I told him we were going to Hershey Park with a friend, he said he wanted to take his book with him to show his friend. At first I said I didn't think taking a book into the park would be a good idea, but he said "Well, let's take it with us and when I get tired we can sit down and read a little chapter!"
Sigh. It was just one of those moments that you want to freeze. Of course we took the book with us and read a little chapter after we had our picnic lunch. I hope and pray that I never forget the gratifying feeling of having my three-year-old want to take a chapter book with him to an amusement park. When he's older and wants nothing to do with books or me, I NEED to remember that feeling.
I know every one of you has had moments like this... maybe even on a daily basis. Aren't you thankful for them? I'm going to try my hardest to conjure up these special memories the next time Jonah is accusing me of child abuse or the next time we're running frantically out of the house, late to an appointment for a class or play date. Does any of that really matter?!
Yes, actually, it does. We need classes and appointments and play dates and there's nothing wrong with all of that. It's only wrong if we fill our lives SO full with other stuff that we don't make time to pick up a new special book--the reading of which might possibly change our lives forever!--or to sit down together under an umbrella and enjoy a snack and conversation or (literally) take time to smell the roses.
That's why we're doing this, right?
Have a great weekend, friends.
tara
PS Diana: you'll be happy to know that my baseboards are decidedly UNclean today.
:-)
4 comments:
Hooray for UNclean baseboards!!! What a wonderful couple of days you have had. Thanks for posting and reminding us to enjoy the moment.
Um, is my child old enough for chapter books? What a horrible mom, I hadn't even thought of chapter books. I bet he'd love Charlottes Web. Good idea, we may just go to the library today!
Good for you to enjoy your few days and your moments. What sweet and smart children you have. Even better that you're writing these memories down so that when the hard days come, you can reflect on the fact that just like adults, kids have moments.
Miss you, wish we could go to the garden's with you.
You are so sweet. Thanks for the reminder. I'm a little OCD like you when it comes to cleaning so if you can take the time out, so can I.
I think the best is to remember the accusations of child abuse (said loudly in public locations)AND to rememember the snuggles you get while reading to your little guy a favorite book. Your post made me smile.
Post a Comment