Friday, February 1, 2008

Ahh... technology

Tomorrow is Groundhog Day, you know. I was planning to post something about Groundhog Day, as it's one of my favorite holidays. There are a few photos I would like to include with my post, so I set out this morning to find them.

Two hours later, I still don't have the pictures. Now, you're probably thinking I couldn't find them because we got a new computer and they're not on the hard drive. Well, this is true, but it's not the real reason. You see, these pictures were taken in 2002, long before we had a digital camera. Yeah.


I just searched through about 10,000 photos. I shouldn't admit that this was a problem, because I'd like all of you to envision a perfectly organized, labled, easy-to-access system for retrieving hard copies of photos. It's a dream, but not a reality. In my real system, which consists of several shoe boxes, 4 photo boxes, 3 plastic storage boxes (all unmatching!), a 20-gallon tub, and about 10 barely-started photo albums, I found everything BUT the pictures I was looking for.
Here's a sampling of what I did find (in order of discovery):

  • Eighth grade cheerleading camp
  • Summer internship to Germany
  • Seven years of college Party Pix
  • Church camp
  • Brad's med school graduation
  • Cut off heads in pics my Grandma took
  • Snowy pics of our house in Perry
  • Photos of about 500 students
  • Wedding photos
  • Cancun trip
  • Tenth grade parade float
  • Seventh grade marching band

You're getting the idea. Add to your image a feisty 1-year-old climbing all over me and trying to eat the pictures, and you're there.

Finally, after a couple of hours of searching, I found, in the very last box under everything else, about 6 computer disks. Four of them were unlabled (who knows what's on those!), one was labled "Mexico" and the last was... "Groundhog Day 2002". YES!

So I jumped and skipped over to the computer to open up the disk and view the pictures I just knew would make my Groundhog Day posting the best ever. "Great! Now I can see these wonderful photos!" is what you must be thinking.

Alas, my current computer (apparently) doesn't have a floppy drive. Which is (apparently) the only place my visual record of 02-02-02 exists.

Alas.

2 comments:

Melissa said...

you crack me up. cute pix of you! :) you haven't changed a bit. i love the blue shorts and bangs!!!

Sydney said...

Nice trip down memory lane! I have pictures of 02-02-02 too--- now I'm going to have to go dig and find them! I'm hoping I have better luck than you did!